RACKOZAR – EGYHAZASKOZAR
Source: Egyhazaskozar Angabe zur Geschichte des Dorfes
by Johann Pfeiffer
Contributed by Christina Aue
As per the Bikal, Baranya church books, by 1735 a new settlement was established on the devastated area of the former old Kozar town. At the beginning the villagers were mostly Roman Catholic Croats, but later Hungarian and German settlers arrived.
In 1751 there were 33 Families: 18 Croats, 12 German, and 3 Hungarian families.
The first German families were: Rohrpek, Silling (Schiling?), Klein, Schat, Huk, Resch, Allrutz, Theowalt, Carl, Kluck and Keller.
The first Croat families were: Csaulovics, Simak, Mendlich, Szlatkicza, Brebek, Bunovich, Kerusvich, Chikovich, Galaba, Horsak and Radar.
The first Hungarian families were: Nemet, Csordas and Horvath.
Around 1750 Johann Birkenstock from Felsonana and Johann Weiss from Hant built their houses in Kozar. Heinrich Imel arrived from Mekenyes, Johann Loch from Hant, Philipp Pruscher most likely from Gyorkony, Andreas Hag from Varsad or Bonyhad, Johann Petermann, a miller, arrived from Bikal.
In 1775 in the ‘Deutsche Gasse’ lived already 800 people in 112 homesteads. By 1777 the German Lutherans were the majority in the village with the permission of the Landholders Petrovszky.
Johan Heinrich Birkenstock became village’s Richter in 1778. Kozar became the 3rd largest German Lutheran settlement on the domain of the Count Esterhazy.