The Recollection of
Maria Fischer, nee Koljajkovic of Kula 

Because my husband, Friedrich Fischer, lost his life during one of the air bombings on Linz on the Danube in Austria, I went to my parents to Nussbach, county of Kirchdorf on the Krems, also in Austria, where they found refuge after evacuation from Croatia. On the 5th of July 1945 mayor, Edinger visited us and said: “All the Croats had to go home on the 6th and had to assemble in front of the city hall at seven in the morning with their hand luggage for repatriation to Yugoslavia.”

After we assembled the next morning, the city hall secretary told us, that we would be transported directly to our homeland. With the cars of the American occupying forces, we were transported to the train station, embarked on the train and via Linz, Salzburg, Marburg, and Steinbrück, we reached Zagreb on the 8th of July 1945 at eight in the morning. Just prior to the Yugoslavian border we changed into different train cars. 

In Zagreb (Agram), we were sent with our luggage to a close0-by military barrack. Each person received a small loaf of bread and bean soup In the afternoon we again received a small loaf of bread. Around 16h we were told to assemble in the yard, so a name list could be made. During the day an announcement through the loudspeakers was made numerous times that we were to donate some clothes and other items to the partisans. Since all of us had only hand luggage with us, and no one had anything that they could do without, no donations were made. The making of the name list was interrupted quite a few times so there was already tension in the air, which escalated with each interruption.

We were pushed back inside after the list was completed and the guards were posted. Shortly thereafter an order was issued that we were to pack some food and assemble in the yard again. Two hours later we were brought once again to the train station and into the railway cars. Firmly guarded we headed via Varazdin – Csakotomya towards the Hungarian border. At Medjumurje prior to the borer we had to leave the train and marched 25 kilometres across the boundary. 

Russians took us over in Hungary and boarded us again into trains. We had to change the trains numerous times and marched in between. The frustration grew and it became so unbearable that two men cut their own throats. One of them was from Kula, one died and the other was sent to a Hungarian hospital. During that trip between 8th of July and 13th of July 1945 we received no food.

On the 13th of July at 11h in the morning i fled from the transport in Ödenburg (Sopron in Hungary) and arrived back in Nussbach in Austria robbed out and starving. 

There were about 1700 persons in the transport, all Danube Swabian refugees from Yugoslavia.