Kismányok was opened up for
settlement in 1718 on the landholdings of Franciscus Kuh, which the General Karl
Augustin von Mercy de Argenteau purchased shortly thereafter. Most of the settlers
came from the Hesse, Franconia and the Swabian areas and were Lutherans. Graf von
Mercy assured the practice of free religion to his Kismányok’ settlers by 1722.
Kismányok is one of the
oldest Danube Swabian communities in Tolna. The baptismal/birth records begin in
1728 and include Lutheran families from Mucsfa, Bonyhád, Majós, Izmény, Hidas,
Cikó, Bátaapáti, Rác Kozar, Tófü, Mórágy, Mekényes, Zsibrik, Szazd, Varalja and
Just like in the German
areas the settlers had to pay to the landlord taxes in form of roboth (labour) and
1/10 of the harvest, as per the settlement contract agreed upon by the Landlord
and the settlers. Later the Urbarial laws have been implemented by the Habsburg
Empress Maria Theresia, which assured the rights of the agricultural small holder.
The Danube Swabian cultural
lifestyle in Hungary was very much influenced by their churches. Until about 1939
the ethnic Germans kept themselves largely apart from the political life even
though the men were drafted to the Austro-Hungarian Army and took part in both of
World Wars. Many inhabitants were killed in those wars.
Already towards the end of
the WWII, in 1944 Hungary was making plans how to expropriate the ethnic German
populations within their borders to get hold of their assets. The Russian Front
was already deep within Hungary, when on 5th of December 1944 the
Soviet Union Generals with the Hungarian communist counterparts formed a provisory
Coalition Administration. The new bosses considered the Hungarian Danube Swabians
as war criminals. On 17th of March 1945 the law 600/1945 M:E: was
declared and implemented, as per which all the assets of the Danube Swabians were
confiscated without any compensation. Supported by the Potsdam resolution (17 July
1945- 2 August 1945 by Great Britain, USA and Soviet Union) it was immediately
enforced and fully implemented by 1948.
The Allies and the
Hungarian administration set a number of 500,000 ethnic Germans to be repatriated.
By 13th of December 1945 it was decided that most of the Danube
Swabians had to leave. Most of the ethnic Germans were sent to Saxony and the last
50,000 in 1948 to East Germany.
Just before the WWII ended
some of Kismányok families flew to Vienna and from later to West Germany. The
first forced Danube Swabian transports started even before the Potsdam conference.
In the first week of February 1945 the citizen of Bonyhad and Pécs areas were sent
to West Germany. It was supposed to be a ‘humane population transfer’ but it was
anything but. Each person could take only a few most necessary items and had to
leave the house key in the lock, so the Sekeler Hungarians who were displaced from
Romania (called Tschangos by the Danube Swabians) could move in and take over all
those assets the Danube Swabians had to leave behind.
The Kismányoks and their
neighbours were stuffed in the railway wagons normally used to transport stock in
the very same way as the Jews were transported to the extermination camps. The
trip went via Budapest, Prag, and Carlsbad to Pirna, in the Russian occupied Zone.
From there they were shipped to Grosspostwitz, Saxony where they have been
Back in 1720 Kismányok population consisted of 7 families.
year later there were already 13 families living in the village.
By 1767 there were 48 families and in 1784 altogether 408 people.
century later (1891) there were 635 Danube Swabians living in the town.
Fifty years later in 1941 of 608 villagers 593 were German speaking.
In 2004 there were still 53 Danube Swabians in town in 21 families.
By 2006 only 18 Danube Swabians are still living in Kismányok.